The Mableton Author Welcomes You

Welcome and thank you for visiting the Mableton Author blog. You are invited to frequently check in, read postings and add your comments.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Memorial Day Remembrances

Monday is Memorial Day, and like most folks today I plan to enjoy fun-filled activity, but also encourage everyone to remember the purpose of "Decoration Day," which somehow evolved into Memorial Day.
I would encourage everyone to take some time to say a prayer and give thanks to those who have passed on and are near and dear in our hearts and minds.
Let us give special thanks to those who paid the ultimate sacrifice in defending our freedom and willingly did so for love of country.
I would like to share with you my earliest remembrance of Decoration Day - as it was referred to so many years ago. My parents were very hard working people and did not have a lot of money; however, every year they faithfully purchased - or perhaps gathered - oodles of flowers, placed them in small pots and we travelled to numerous cemeteries where various friends and family were buried. My earliest recollection would be about 65-67 years ago and I accompanied my parents on the annual cemetery visitations until I left home at age 14. I am certain that my parents continued their annual visitation to pay respects to the deceased as long as they were physically able.
Pots of flowers were placed, or planted near the headstones that identified the deceased and while this was being done, I listened in awe to my parents converse about aspects of the dearly departed's life. Although Christian and believing in God, my parents were not religious people and we never kneeled at the graves to pray, nor do I ever recall any prayer being said. Yet, their placing of the flowers and positive reflection on the individual - most of whom I never knew in life - was meant as tribute to that individual and therefore a demonstration of prayerful respect.
My mother always packed a picnic basket filled with goodies and at mid-day, in whatever cemetery we were at, we spread a blanket under the spreading limb of a large tree and ate lunch. During that picnic lunch, I listened in rapt fascination to my parents reflections on aspects of the friends and relatives lives who had passed on. Some of those reflections dealt with some heroic aspect of the individual's life.
The graves of those who had served in the military and lost their lives in defense of this country, were usually adorned with flags and sometimes a placard paying tribute to their valor. It made me shiver to see how young some of them were when they were killed, and I wondered if one day I would be called upon to sacrifice my life in similar manner. In later year's I visited the Arlington National Cemetery and thought this beautiful cemetery was where I wanted to be laid to rest. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the silent, immaculately uniformed sentries watching over it caused me to shiver, much as I had as a small child while wondering at the significance and finality of death.
I am ashamed to say that in my adult life, I have not continued the family tradition of visiting cemeteries and paying respect to deceased family and friends on Memorial Day. However, I do hold dear memories of life shared with those who have preceded me in death, and I do pray that their souls are enjoying eternal life in Heaven.
Our son Patrick, on his own initiative, without any encouragement from me, travels to various cemeteries where members of our family are laid to rest. He places flowers and prays for their soul. I am pleased and proud that Patrick does this.
I would hope that no matter how everyone plans to spend Memorial Day, that they take some time to think about the sacrifices made by so many that they might continue to enjoy liberty, freedom and prosperity. Those who live owe a great debt to those who gave them life and who nurtured them in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment