The Mableton Author Welcomes You

Welcome and thank you for visiting the Mableton Author blog. You are invited to frequently check in, read postings and add your comments.

Friday, March 5, 2010

Reflections From The Shield

I would like to introduce you to my second book, Reflections From the Shield, Volumes I&II.
After Fatal Impeachment was published, family and friends encouraged me to pen my State Police autobiography, so I did. My reflections from the start of my career in the New York State Police, to my promotion to supervisor in the BCI resulted in over 500 pages of manuscript, so I decided to publish my autobiography in two books. Volume I of RFTS provides a brief history of the NYSP in an era now nearly 50 years ago, describes the hiring process and compares the NYSP in that era to what it has evolved into today. Volume I also provides vignettes of memorable crimes, accidents and incidents encountered by young Trooper Beyea. Volume II (which became part of the first book) provides vignettes of memorable crimes and incidents encountered by Investigator Beyea. Book 2 of RFTS, consisting of 478 pages, provides vignettes of the most memorable incidents encountered by Senior Investigator Beyea. Both books total 1011 pages detailing the career of a police officer that was more of an adventure than work. The portrayal of a labor of love that deprived a y0ung wife and family of husband and father. Both books were edited and the chapters, or vignettes, are perfect for reading while the reader is seated on the porcelain throne. Both Reflections From the Shield are available for purchase from Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble.com, Borders.com, Iuniverse.com and other book outlets. Signed copies can also be ordered from the author by shooting an email to web2108@bellsouth.net

In the final 4 years of my second career as a Security Investigator with New York State Electric & Gas (NYSEG), we were privileged to own a home located on the west shore of beautiful Lake Champlain, so naturally the Beyea's purchased a boat. We also enjoyed tours of the lake aboard the tourboat Juniper owned and operated by Captain Frank Pabst. The Captain was an interesting and colorful character possessing great knowledge of Lake Champlain history and lore and I became interested in penning his life story. Captain Pabst was pleased and the end result is my 4th book, The Captain of the Juniper. Captain Pabst turned out to be far more interesting than I had imagined. He left school at 11 years of age, served as a crewman on a tugboat in New York harbor and subsequently worked at more jobs and undertook more business endeavors than any other person I have ever known. I also learned he was a veteran of the Korean War and had been wounded during service there. In 1974, he converted a rugged, venerable old barge that had been built during WW II into a quite elegant lake cruise vessel which was dubbed Juniper. The Juniper became Frank Pabst's labor of love for 25 years and as you can imagine those years produced some wonderful stories. Readers who are familiar with beautiful Lake Champlain and who might be interested in its history, will particularly enjoy reading the Captain's story. The Captain of the Juniper is available for purchase from Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble.com, Borders.com, Iuniverse.com and most major book outlets (by order). The Captain of the Juniper is available in hard or soft cover copy. A signed copy can also be purchased from the author by shooting an email to: web2108@bellsouth.net
The horrible death experienced by Trudy Resnick Farber, (she was buried alive), which occurred in 1974, had remained in my mind, and because of the bizarre nature of the crime, which was committed by a schizophrenic, I toyed with the idea of writing the story. This lead to a year of research, which produced aspects of the crime that had hitherto been unknown to me. The result was produced in The Day the Catskills Cried. I had originally toyed with the idea to title the story as Schizo, but decided on The Day the Catskills Cried. Those who enjoy true crime stories are sure to enjoy reading Trudy's story. The book includes photographs (as does The Captain of the Juniper) and is available in hard or soft cover from Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble.com, Borders.com, Iuniverse.com and most major book outlets (by order). As in all of my books, signed copy can be purchase by emailing web2108@bellsouth.net

2 comments:

  1. I am a retired Police Detective from Long Island , NY. I worked the Long Island , NYC area for over 27 years. I read both Books,Reflections From the Shield. All I can say Is it is a "Must Read". My son is about to become a police officer on Long Island and gave him my copies to read.... The type of books that you have a hard time putting down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind comments. I am glad that you enjoyed RFTS and am sure that as a retired police officer you have many reflections of your own.

    ReplyDelete