The Mableton Author Welcomes You

Welcome and thank you for visiting the Mableton Author blog. You are invited to frequently check in, read postings and add your comments.

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Highway Carelessness Or Intentional Acts of Mischief

Those who know me, know that I used to bike a lot of miles and run in 10k races. Never came close to winning any, but got lots of exercise. Have given up on the running, but still walk many, many miles, and having grown bored of seeing the same sights along the paved "Silver Comet" trail, I have commenced walking along our many highways and biways, generally - because of the traffic - walking areas that have sidewalks. I constantly seek out new roads to walk. It disgusts me that people are so sloppy, inconsiderate and careless when it comes to littering. Many of our roadsides, which could be quite attractive because the county plants flowers and trees along most areas, resemble a landfill. During the past year, I have found two cellphones (one fully functional), several wrenches of various variety, three screwdrivers, 10 or 12 live bullets (yup, 380, 9mm & 40c) numerous empty shell casings, which could mean that someone is driving along and firing a gun out of their car window, (This thought makes me shudder) or just throwing the casings out of their car window. What concerns me the most is the thousands (yes, thousands) of nails, nail-screws, screws, bolts, nuts, (all sorts of hardware) that line the roads. These items are tire destroyers and could cause serious accidents. My inquisitive - police - mind causes me to wonder if all of this destructive debris is accidentally dropping out of contractors vehicles or, being intentionally scattered by tire dealers, or - God forbid - angry, hate-filled people. What is your take on this problem?
I would add, that I am a volunteer that assists my friend in cleaning up a one-mile section of South Cobb Parkway in Smyrna, and we have collected every sort of debris imaginable, including: baby diapers, condoms, crack containers, syringes, etc. Makes me wonder if our society has become so lazy, self-centered and corrupt, that very few people take pride in being clean and neat. Also wonder what the homes of the slobs doing all this littering look like...

3 comments:

  1. YOU ARE PROBABLY RIGHT ,WAYNE. IT'S THE TIRE DEALERS THAT ARE DOING IT. THEY NEED THE MONEY. BOB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wayne, I Am also suprised about garbage that appears to be thrown outside of car windows these days. We have over 800 ft of road frontage on our property which seems to collect Bags of fast food from Mickey D's , Burger King, etc. Our road here in the Adirondacks anytime of the year is just breath taking and I can not understand how someone can just throw stuff out the window. Before I retired from the Police Dept. back on Long Island I was Making my way back to the Squad Room in my unmarked PD.vehicle and behind a Vehicle that clearly was being driven by a local resident as the rear Lic. plate cover boasted the name of the local high school football team. The driver was a younger male and was lets say , not following the driving rules as he should have, Not stopping fully at stop signs, sorta rolling through them and some other minor vtl violations.
    As I was about to pull him over, out through the drivers window came a fast food drink container which ended up landing on the roadway. I stopped this youth and after requesting his drivers Lic. and other paperwork I found out that he was infact a Local.....Infact I knew his father. I gave him this deal... Go Back and Pick up the container which was over a 1/2 mile back , I'll Keep his Drivers Lic. and he should meet me at my office with his dad,and the container, then he could get his Lic. back.
    The Driver complained that this seemed unfair to him, after I reminded him that numerous tickets might sting a little worse... he decided that the deal I was giving him was not be so bad.
    Long and short of it, He arrived at my office, Dad in tow and container in hand. After some further conversation they left my office, He had his NYS Drivers Lic. and I believe he will forever recall that day and not throw stuff out the window... I feel Justice was served. I think, his Dad and he had some further conversation after they got home...:>)
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it Jerry! That's the sort of justice that should be meted out by many police officers. The violator learns a lot more from that than simply paying a fine. I would like to see courts sentence convicted litters to roadside cleanup. Bet that would get their attention, but then the ACLU or some other scum sucking liberal group would claim cruel and unusual punishment...

    ReplyDelete