The Mableton Author Welcomes You

Welcome and thank you for visiting the Mableton Author blog. You are invited to frequently check in, read postings and add your comments.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I should have took up Chess

I play a lot of golf and don't know why. I will never be good at the game and keep torturing myself believing I will improve. I should have taken up chess. Would have been a lot cheaper and more rewarding.
Don't know how many folks out there enjoy birds as much as I do, but I spend about $40 month on bird food and love to watch their antics. I have 7 seed feeders and two suet feeders. Needless to say our backyard is quite active. We have a large cherry tree on which I have hung three of my feeders. My guests consist of a large variety of birds. Bluebirds, chickadees, towhees, nuthatches, cardinals, house finches, gold finches, hummingbirds, cowbirds, mocking birds, catbirds, doves orioles and many others. Of course, bluebirds are my favorite, and they are plentiful here. Most bird books claim that Bluebirds diet consists only of worms and grubs. I can assure you that is not entirely correct. Bluebirds flock to my feeder that is filled with sunflower hearts and feed on them all winter. I have two Bluebird houses that are usually occupied. My study of my avian friends reveals many interesting things. We have a large cherry tree in our backyard and it is normally filled with birds. When it isn't, I look for a hawk. We have some huge, beautiful hawks that frequently make an appearance in search of tidbits. I have noticed that most of the birds that visit us do no fly directly to the feeders, but to the top of the cherry tree, then they gradually go to lower positions in the tree, until they decide it is safe to visit the feeders.
While living in Plattsburgh, I wrote a short story, titled, "The Purple Martins." This story was published in the Lake Champlain Weekly. Purple Martins are some of the most interesting and fascinating birds that we have encountered.
Don't know why I decided to ramble on about birds, but they do give me much pleasure. If any of you enjoy birdwatching as much as I do, would be interested in hearing any stories you have about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment